Wikispaces

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Black History Month - What do you think?


Established in 1976, Black History Month is recognized in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, among other nations. It is intended to celebrate the contributions blacks in the societies in which they live. In our case, it is the role that African-Americans have played – and continue to play – in American history and life.

There are always the obvious famous African-Americans to focus on during this time: Martin Luther King Jr., Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, and others. I have chosen to focus this year on the contributions of baseball legend Jackie Robinson. I hope you enjoyed the film that we watched in class, and I hope it made you think beyond the “obvious” African-Americans that we usually focus on during celebrations like this.

Use your comments here to express your ideas about the importance of Black History Month. Is it necessary to have a month dedicated to the contributions of black Americans? What about other months like this – Hispanic Heritage Month, Women’s History Month, and other such celebrations? Who are some of the African-Americans that you think best represent the meaning of this month?

I want to hear what you think and feel. If you disagree with what someone writes, you should comment on it but you MUST remain respectful. I will not tolerate any personal attacks, rude, or inappropriate comments. Most importantly – HAVE FUN!!

Here are some links that may help you think through this topic:
History Channel – http://www.history.com/minisites/blackhistory/
The Official Website of Jackie Robinson - http://www.jackierobinson.com/
Or search Google

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think black history is an important month because its representing us black people and i just think black history is important

Anonymous said...

Black Hisory is an important month brcause like christon said its representind us black people.And Black History allows us to appreciate what we are today!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

SORRY,,
Black History is an important month because like Christon said its representing us black people. And Black History allows us to appreciate what we are today!!!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE BLACK HISTORY MONTH!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Black History is a important month because it is good for all people to know the history of african americans .Also for the africans americans to be recognize for their good deeds they did in history.

Anonymous said...

Black history is for ALL People to recognize us African Americans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =>

Anonymous said...

H3ll0!

Anonymous said...

I think Black History Month is a great month to celebrate! some people think that it isn't a good month because some white people take it affencive. I think that Black History Month is fun to celebrate because we get to expiriance what some very great black people have accomplished in the earlier days!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Amber...
I think black history month is a great thing to celebrate!!!! If MLK Jr. and Rosa Parks and all these other great american leaders I would not be friends with most of the people Im friends with now such as Princess and Cabraya!!

Anonymous said...

And like I said before about these great leaders we had we would probley not have the great teachers we have here at SCMS and other great schools! such as Mr.Veliz and Mr. Jennings and Ms. McIntyre!!! But back then it wasn't just about your skin color it could also be about your religion background!

Anonymous said...

The most important thing to me about black history month is of course Martin Luther King Jr.He made America what it is today. Where no one is treated unequal. Now every one is allowed to do the same thing. I definately think Black History plays a big roll in American History. If Martin didn't speak out the whites would be in a different school than the colors. Black history is important!

Anonymous said...

Black history is important because african americans have had the GREATTEST impact on america! if it wasnt for them i wouldnt be i scms right now! and i wouldnt have the friends i would have right now! thankyou so much!

Anonymous said...

What I think about black history.Is that it is a very important month of history.To represent the people that made it important for are congressional to sit with black and white people.Also that the faith and braveness of standing up for us that the people did like Martin Luther King Jr.,Rosa Parks and more.So that is what I think about Black History Month.

Anonymous said...

The month is good because it celebrates famous black americans. Every year we all learn somthing new about famous black americans. There has been a lot of important changes because of african americans.

Anonymous said...

I think that black history month is the most important thing on this earth because this month represents us getting our freedom and even the end of some slavery.It even shows how all of the great people like Martin L King Jr.,Rosa Parks,or even Jackie Robinson helped us black folks get through everything back in the days.There couldn't be anything better than thanking the great heroes who helped us.That is why I love BLACK HISTORY MONTH!!!!

Anonymous said...

It is unfortunate that we only get one month to learn about Black History. Black History is apart of life and is important not just to black people but all people alike. It is history and history is what we build on.

Anonymous said...

I think black history month is very good celebration and holiday that was invented! I luv black history month not only beacause i am a african-american, but because of the struggle that a lot of black's went though. We had ALOT of tough times where we were beaten, starved, cold or hungry or even abused, (idk if i spelled dat rite). but anyways (neways) thats what i think about black history month. i think that even if your skin isnt a little darker than some other group of kids then that dosent mean u shouldn't celebrate black history month along with the rest of them.

Anonymous said...

heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Anonymous said...

SAY IT LOUD WE BLACK AND WE PROUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA NOT, DAT AINT FUNNY!!!!

Anonymous said...

i agree with princess! It is to bad that we only get the shortest month of the year to celebrate bhm!
it is an important month! this year we get one extra day to celebrate bhm so we need to live it up! right? bhm = february!
blacks and whites are happy to be friends because of "MLK Jr." This is what princess once said, "Black History is apart of life and is important not just to black people but all people alike. It is history and history is what we build on." this is a true fact!